SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

10.02.2008

Eat Healthy - Fight Diabetes contest

I thank you all for the support you gave in making Eat healthy Calcium Rich contest a great success.Check out the mega round up! With all the festivals around, it is really a challenge to prepare something out of the box. No Sugar during festival season is a challenge for me! How about you? Are you up for this challenge?

This time it is all about fighting Diabetes. A healthy Diabetic Diet is what we are taking about.To prepare something which is helpful for Diabetic people. Yes! put on your healthy chef's hat and start rolling!



Photo:chadmagiera

Below is an article which I wrote after researching about diabetes. Hope it is helpful.

Any medical student or a person who is educated in the medical field will correctly point out the three types of diabetes.

- Type 1 Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Gestational


However, when you question a lay man on diabetes, his answers most of the time, will be related to Type 2 diabetes. Mainly because, this the most common type of diabetes and other reason could be that he is suffering from it already.

Type 2 diabetes or Diabetes mellitus type 2 is due to our body not secreting enough insulin or due to our cells rejecting the secreted insulin. The definition of Insulin in any dictionary will be given as ‘Hormone secreted by the isles of Langerhans in the pancreas; regulates storage of glycogen in the liver and accelerates oxidation of sugar in cells’. Simply put, Insulin is necessary for our body to utilize Glucose for producing the required energy.

It is true that Type 2 diabetes affects a certain group of people. This doesn’t mean that others can party. Even a 3 year old has a threat of getting this evil disease. Mostly, this disease is fond of people who are obese or overweight, people with a family history of this diabetes, women who have had gestational diabetes and people with hormonal imbalance.

The common symptoms of this disease are fatigue, increased hunger or thirst, frequent urination, numbness. Prevailing in more than half of the current population, it can not only affect the glucose and energy level in our body, but also, can lead to dehydration, heart attack, blindness, kidney problems. We sure are dealing with a major criminal here.

It is more important to prevent a disease than thinking of the ways to cure it. Though we have medicines to keep diabetes in control, we are sure that it is a lifelong treatment that we need to undergo to save our life. To prevent this, the simple way is to exercise regularly and maintain proper diet. A healthy intake, by reducing the sugar and fat content, can help us succeed in our goal. If you feel you might be at stake, do not hesitate to consult your doctor immediately.

A diabetic diet, Diabetic cooking or Diabetic recipes - You can call it however you want. But the main motto behind this event is to provide a healthy diet/recipes for people who are suffering from Diabetes and for pregnant women who get gestational diabetes during pregnancy.



RULES:

This time we have a special friend of mine sponsoring this event! She will be the guest judge in selecting the top 10 recipes that will be up for voting! so please make sure that your recipe is really a healthy recipe which is diabetic friendly. I will post more about t he sponsor soon!

This event starts from Oct 02, 2008 and will be till Midnight,CST of Nov 30, 2008.The voting will start from Dec 1,2008( it might get delayed if the judge needs some time to decide on the recipes) and will run for 5 days . The winners will be announced on 6th day.

1. Make any dish – be it Appetizer, Main Course or Dessert , Vegetarian/Non -Vegetarian, any cuisine and using any ingredient, anything under the sun that is Diabetic friendly and post the recipe in your blog /site and link it back to this announcement. I would greatly appreciate if you use the logo.

2. No need to send the picture, I will take it from your blog. But instead I would appreciate if you take this survey and help me.

3. Subscribe to my blog via E-mail/Reader. - (OPTIONAL) I am asking you all to subscribe because, last time, a lot of the participants missed the mega round up and missed the chance of voting for their favorite recipes. This time I feel it could be prevented by making the subscription.

4. Send me your
“Name”
“Recipe”
“Recipe URL”
"Few lines stating why the recipe is diabetic friendly"

to : letusallcook@gmail.com i.e. letusallcook(AT)gmail(DOT)com with the subject as Eat healthy - Fight Diabetes.

5. You can send any number of entries. The more you send, the more chances of winning.

6.Not having a blog is no excuse to let you get away with your passion for cooking. Non-Bloggers don't worry, there are always ways to achieve your passion :) please do send me the same details as above to the mail given and I will post it in the round-up with your details. Your recipe will also be counted for winning the $ 20 prize.

8.Older entries on blogs can be accepted only if they are re posted during this event period with a link-back to this announcement. If you do not know how to re post please check one of my post where I have done re posting for an event.

9. Each entry to this contest must have a link back to this announcement.

If you have any doubts please ask!

Also checkout the previous Eat Healthy Events and Round Ups.

PRIZE 1: This winner will be chosen by voting. The 10 recipes will be chosen by the special judge, the more number of entries you send the more chance for her to choose your recipe in the top 10 spots. $20 gift card to the person who comes first in the voting.

PRIZE 2: $10 gift card to the person who comes second in the voting.

PRIZE 3: A special goody bag. This will go to the most healthy and diabetic friendly recipe. This will be chosen by the judge and me. Our decision is final.

PRIZE 4: The person with maximum number of entries, in addition of getting more chances to get the top 10 spot will also get a special prize of getting featured in my blog for a month. This is truly to appreciate their contribution.

24 comments:

Hi Sangeeth:

Great job with the Calcium event and this sounds like another great event.
As a diabetic, I'm sure I'll get lots of great ideas from this event and I look forward to sharing mine.

I was unaware of the calcium event. will try to participate in this one, time permitting.

wow..this is a nice healthy theme,will surely participate.

Cool, will try to send in something.
Answer to your question about Ricotta cheese today:
Unfortunately, for rasamalai, I wouldn't recommend any other cheese except Ricotta. I am surprised that your local markets sell them at a high price. Hmmm, check Walmart (I am not sure if it is available though) It normally sells for about $3-4 for a small tub.

I am in for this one too!!good event!!

I also missed the Calcium contest in a day Sangeeth. I wanted to send my Beet leave mor kootu for the event. I'll send my entry for this event. I thought your next event would be "folate rich" dishes, since it's very essential for women and especially pregnant women.

Thanks girls! will be looking forward to your entries :)

Another interesting event! will send something.

Hi Sangeeth..Will try and send something over!

This sure is going to be very helpful for diabetics. Thanks for yet another healthy event sangeeth.:)

Nice event. will try something :)

Hi
Thank u so much for visiting me.
I missed ur Calcium Event. For some reason I could not access your page ... I do not what I was doing wrong or whether there was a problem. I will send something in for this event. I was on the borderline of high sugar during both my preg. so I had to watch and eat
Thanks .. this is a very thoughtful event.

This is a very good one. I'll try to send something for sure.. !!

Good one will try to send something !

just sent in my entry via email.

I just sent you my entry for this. Hope you have received it.:)

Hi Dear,
you are on a crusade...happened to stumble upon ur blog...have started blogging myself....toddler stage!
Will surely post an entry! I come from a family of diabetics...so I guess I know quite a bit and am cautious too.
My recipe is simple and fat free,low sodium and counteracts the diabetes...and to top it all its made from indian herbs that have forever been the pride of ayurveda. I am proud to be an Indian.

hey Sangeeth,
already sent the entry! :-)

Navita

Wow. This looks interesting. I wanna join but I'm not a good cook.

@free medical advice - every one has a hidden cook in them.C'mon give it a try! we are all learning here.

Just found out about your "Fight Diabetes" event, but it closes at the end of this month. I'd like to submit a recipe but don't know if I can get to it in time to post it and submit it. Creating healthy recipes for people with diabetes is such a great thing to do. Why not have this event all the time, with a once-a-month roundup?

nice post..ived been looking for news and articles about diabetes and sugar free recipes. We all know that it is a serious illness and your article really helped. thanks for sharing this one out.

oh, i'm seeing this now..i missed it:(